Monday, May 10, 2010

First day in Abu Dhabi

Am sitting at my hotel next to the (infinity) pool drinking lots of (superb, freshly-ground, 24-hours free) coffee.

It’s so hot and humid that it makes Durban seem like an air-conditioned airport terminal. In fact, if there was an award for “The Hottest and Stickiest City in the World”, Abu Dhabi would win hands down. Great marketing opportunity for Shield, Axe or Sanex. Someone should tell them.


Anyhow, seeing as though my colleague and I only arrived at 1am this morning, we’ve had the day off. Whoo Hoo! went to the mall, drooled through the Ikea store and Gap, and got ripped off by two taxi drivers - all this in one day!


Also pottered about the supermarket. Saw vegetables I have never seen or heard of in my life (pineapple tomatoes anyone???). Next time will take my camera. Sure it’s perfectly acceptable for tourists to take pictures of the fresh produce.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kirsten.
    Happy to hear you have arrived safely. Getting ripped off by taxi drivers??. We have been there done that. Not in Abu Dhabi though ,but in Praque. Love to hear from you, so keep us posted.
    Love
    Bette

    ReplyDelete